Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kids say the darndest things...

Here is a look into my daily life at work....Here are some funny and great moments I've had recently...

I teach a level 4 class...(a class of girls approaching the teenage years. *yelp!*)

Yesterday, one of the girls ( a 12 year old), thought that one of the lifeguards on duty was dang attractive. 
As she swam past him, she did this all mysterious voice and said, "ooohhh hey...what's up?" (smiling huge...) 
The lifeguard looked at her and just did this smile...(the smile, that someone just said something awkward and you don't know how to reply ha ha.)
I then looked over at him and after that, she turned to me and said, "Back off teacher, he's mine. Don't look at him in that way." (Thinking to myself, what way? ha ha.) He's like 17 for crying out loud.

----------------------------

This is a tad awkward, but I have to share it. Don't hold this one against me okay?

I teach a level 3 class..(all boys around age 10+) and I introduced them to breaststroke.

One boy turned to me with a disgusted look on his face and said, "Teacher, we don't have breasts?"
I burst into laughter and told them I had to agree.
We ended up naming the stroke "Cheststroke" and that is the only name we "allow" in our class.
How funny and observant kids are so young.

---------------------------- 
I teach an adaptive class...(a private lesson with a child or adult with disabilities).
The girl I teach is so sweet. Her eyes light up every time she sees me. She lives for swimming lessons. Last Friday, she said "I'm really going to miss you because I won't see you tomorrow or Sunday. But I hope you have a good day at church. I'll see you Monday and we can swim more, right?" She always says she'll miss me, it's the cutest thing.

Today, I was throwing rings across the pool (to practice her distance swimming and diving) and I supposedly threw them really far. She turned to me and said, "Wow teacher you have really strong muscles, especially your arms." I thanked her and was surprised that maybe lifting weights are acyually making a difference. She then came up to me and felt my triceps and said, "Never mind teacher, they are super soft...." Hahaha. I later flexed for her and she said I was super strong. Ohhhh man. :)
----------------------------

I teach a Pre1 class (a class of insane class of 5 kids, 3 years old.)

Usually, it is inane to keep order in that class. The kids are insane and just love to have fun. Which, I don't blame them, but when they jump off the wall and begin to drown, we have a problem. Ha ha. Anyways, I have one girl in my class that has been traumatized with deep water, because her brother almost drowned last Summer. It was very traumatic for her and has been extremely fearful of going out in deeper water with me. But.......YESTERDAY, she let me take her out in the deep water and she did amazing!! I kept telling her how brave she was and she kept saying over and over again, "I'm BRAVE! I did it!"

In between the funny moments, I have amazing moments, like the last one I shared that makes my job amazing! I love the progress these kids have made and continue to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment