Sunday, June 19, 2011

So I've decided to take up running, again.

I've been in and out of running for the past year or so.
During second semester (Jan-April), I was running 3-4 times a week.
When I finished up my first year at USU, I took a break from running.
But....last week, I have decided to re-dedicate myself.
I have 2 great runs last week, and I want to double that this week.

I really do enjoy running.
Even though it is hard.
It's great.

My cousin Kara (an amazing runner) bought me this book:


I'm just a few chapters into the book, but I wanted to share some of my favorite things I've read...
So, those that are runners or those that want to start taking up running, listen up,

-Running can be the highlight of your day, every day, and that running for pure pleasure is the surest way to run well.

-Run for time, not speed or distance.

-You are a runner when you say (and believe) you are a runner. Period.

-Overcome self-consciousness. One thing that stops a lot of people from running or becoming runners, is they don't want to be seen running in their own neighborhood. Don't let that stop you!

-Running your first 5k or marathon could end up being the wrong goal at the wrong time if it causes too much stress. no one but you will be able to make this call.

-You have to work on your mental toughness.


-As a new runner, all your runs should be easy runs until you have created your foundation.

-Running is not an all or nothing commitment each day.

-Running is a gift in your life and you should enjoy it.

-Running is very forgiving of cluelesseness. Just do it.

-If you are constantly worrying about everything you have to do that day while you're out for a run, you're really not giving running the chance it deserves.

-Run for reasons that work for you. It's best to pick a reason or reasons that really resonate. Some, say "half for vanity, half for sanity!"

1 comment: