Sunday, July 17, 2011

Be Grateful


Tonight I was able to attend a fireside at BYU. The speaker was Kim Smith, the great-great granddaughter of Joseph Smith the prophet. She focused on the importance of families. She said that with the times that are coming, we will need to rely on our family ties. She talked about her conversion story when she turned 12 years old. Most of the JS line are those that have became part of the F-LDS sect or no religion at all. Her family line had many grudges with the prophet Brigham Young and understanding the LDS Faith. Their family was torn apart because of this.


Hold that thought. Rewind.

Lately, I have been really stressed with making sure I have enough money for school. The software I have to purchase for my program is extremely expensive, let alone my other supplies I have to buy for my classes. I talked to my mom about it and told her that I was worried about making sure I was set for school this coming year. My supplies, fees, housing, food, bills and tuition are going to be very expensive this year. I began complaining to her and telling her that I wish she and my dad would help me out with expenses more. In my teenage and immature mind, I got angry saying that they barely help me at all. 

They may not be sending me on Study Abroad or handing me cash for my tuition, but they help supply me with food, my daily needs and a place to live for the Summer. Mom and dad have helped me with the little things. I need to be more grateful for what I have.


After I said that, I realized what I said was terribly wrong. Even though I wasn't able to go on a study abroad this Summer like a lot of my friends, or have my parents pay in full for my tuition and housing, it has been a great experience for me to be humbled. Everything will work out. 



This fireside focused on the family and that we should not hold grudges or not forgive. I need to apologize, I need to be more grateful, I need to have more faith that things will work out. This fireside is just what I needed. Family is important and you should never take them for granted.


I have begun to realize when Satan can take control of me. He always gets me when I'm under pressure and stressed. I need to rely on Faith and my Savior. I was placed in this position as a college student and in the Interior Design program for a reason, He will make it all work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment